10 Home Remedies to Reverse Sun Damage, Dark Spots & Uneven Skin Tone
We all love summer because it is so bright and shiny outside. Sunshine does lift up the spirits. But we also stress about the beating our skin will have to endure for long after summer turns into fall.
If you are distressed about not being able to enjoy the sun for the damage it can do to your skin, you are not alone. Or if you have had a great summer with plenty of sunshine and outdoors time, you might now be wondering how to erase the unevenness, dryness or dark spots on your skin due to it.
But let me tell you something, sun damage is not just a summer threat. The sun’s harmful ultraviolet rays can wreak havoc in other seasons too.
Excess tanning, dullness, uneven skin tone and sun spots are some of the most common side effects of sun damage. Lucky for us, there are home remedies that can come to the rescue.
But before we get into the details of natural tips and remedies, let us consider what causes sun damage. I strongly believe that to protect yourself against the harmful effects of too much sun, you need to know what it does to your body first. This way you can channel your efforts in the right direction.
So, what is harmful tanning?
When your skin gets darkened due to extended exposure to sun, it is called tanning. While early morning exposure has many health benefits, being out there too long can have a serious negative impact on your skin.
Tanning is our body’s natural defense mechanism against ultraviolet rays. When we are exposed to the sun for long, our bodies produce a pigment known as melanin that helps counter the effect of UV rays.
But prolonged exposure makes your skin patchy and dulls your appearance. Sure a nice and even tan can look great on light-skinned indviduals, but it seldom comes alone. That much sun exposure is bound to leave your skin dry and lackluster.
Even though there are many products out there that promise to offer you full protection against the sun’s harmful rays, I strongly urge you to consider natural remedies instead. Why? Because harsh SPFs like oxebenzone and avobenzone are increasingly being linked to serious health concerns, like cancer. In addition many of us react badly to sunscreens. Irritation, redness, dryness and acne. These are some of the concerns linked to the usage of sunscreens.
been known in traditional systems to have sun protection properties. They are high in antioxidants that reverse the free radical damage caused due to the UV rays of sunlight. However they have not been studied as SPFs and thus cannot be called sunscreens.
Nonetheless a daily skin care routine that incorporates these natural ingredients in high quality products is the best decision you could make for your personal care.
Why natural remedies?
Most of the ingredients are readily available in your pantry and have been known for hundreds of years for their noted skin care benefits. The best part is that they are inexpensive and safe to use.
Let us talk about 10 natural tips and home remedies that can reduce the evidence of sun damage better than harsh chemical filled products.
collagen and tighten your skin. Cucumbers can be used to to even out the skin tone and reduce sun damage. Being naturally high in vitamin C, it is no wonder that cucumber is known to be your skin’s best friend especially in summertime and to handle the post-summer stress marks on your skin
Cucumber and Lemon Anti-Dark Spot Home Remedy
Mix 2 tablespoons of fresh cucumber juice with 8 drops of fresh lemon juice. Apply this mix to your face and neck, leave it on for 15 minutes and wash it off with your PH balanced and sulfate free cleanser. Then follow with toner, serum and lotion.
2. Oatmeal: this breakfast staple is not just healthy for your body but also for your skin. Oats provide the right amount of coarseness to gently exfoliate your skin and help you achieve a smooth skin tone.
Oatmeal and Tomato Skin Exfoliating Home Remedy
Combine 1 tablespoonful of oatmeal flour and enough tomato juice to make a thick paste. Add 1/4th teaspoonful of turmeric powder to the mix. Apply this mix to your face and other exposed parts of your body. Let it sit for about 15 minutes before rinsing it
with lukewarm water. As you wash it off, gently massage your face to get rid of dead skin cells that make your skin look dull and uneven. Use 1-2 times and week and follow with your toner, serum and lotion.
3. Sugar: This too can act as an exfoliating agent, just like oatmeal. Natural exfoliation masks made from sugar work wonders in eliminating pesky brown spots and making your skin look younger. Brown sugar contains natural glycolic acid, which is an alpha hydroxy acid. It loosens up the upper layers of your skin, thus minimizing the look of sun damage.
Sugar and Pineapple Mix to Reduce Pigmentation due to Sun Exposure
Mix 1 tablespoon of sugar with 10 drops of fresh pineapple juice. Add enough aloe vera juice to make a paste. Use this scrub to gently massage your face and other parts of body. Massage in gently for 2-3 minutes. Then leave this face mask to dry on your skin for another 12 minutes. Wash with your gentle cleanser and then follow with toner, serum and lotion. Always choose products meant for your unique skin type. Read this page to figure out your skin type.
Here is a short video in which I teach you how to use pineapple & potato juice to get even skin and reduce the look of dark spots and unevenness of skin. Enjoy!
4. Papaya: Did you know that papaya is the one of the best ingredients for uneven skin tone, hyper-pigmentation and sun spot problems? That is precisely the reason why Apsara’s Papaya and Sugar Mask contains very high quality papaya extract for gentle yet highly effective exfoliation of skin.
Papaya and Orange Juice Anti-Sun Damage Home Remedy
directly to your skin. You can also mash it up and mix 2 tablespoons of it with 1 teaspoon of fresh orange juice. Apply the mixture to your skin and leave it on for 15 minutes. This home remedy can be used 1-2 times a week. Follow with your toner, serum and lotion.
5. Aloe Vera: this natural moisturizer helps minimize dark patches due to too much sun and also evens out your skin tone. The gel extracted from aloe vera is very potent and has number of skin care benefits. This is the reason why all Apsara lotions contain organic aloe vera in them.
Aloe Vera Dark Patch Minimizing Home Remedy
You can gently squeeze out the gel from an aloe vera leaf and directly apply to the affected area. Let the gel work on your skin for at least 15 minutes before you rinse it off with lukewarm water. Use this simple mask 1-2 times a week.
Rice flour and Green Tea Skin Brightening Face Mask
No need to throw away the used green tea bags anymore. Just squeeze out the left over liquid from used green tea bags. To one 2 tablespoons of this cool green tea add enough rice flour to make a thick paste. Apply on your skin and leave on for 12 minutes. Wash with a gentle cleanser and follow with your daily skin care routine.
7. Turmeric: known to be a powerful antioxidant, turmeric has been used as a beauty staple in the Indian culture for centuries. Turmeric paste is often used on the skin to encourage natural glow and to even out your skin tone.
Turmeric and Fuller’s Earth Flawless Skin Face Mask
To 2 tablespoons of fuller’s earth (or any other clay of your choice) add 1/4th teaspoon of turmeric powder and enough almond milk to make a thick paste. Apply on your skin and let it dry for 12- 15 minutes. Use 1-2 times a week and follow with your toner, serum and lotion.
In this video I teach you a very simple turmeric and oat flour home remedy to balance your skin and reduce the look of open pores. Want me to do a video remedy for your skin concern? Let me know in comments below.
8. Vitamin E: an awesome antioxidant, this ingredient has some serious sun damage fighting properties. It is also nourishing to the skin, which adds to its value as your skin’s best buddy. Be sure your daily skin care routine is made with products that have natural vitamin E in them. Such ingredients include sweet almond, wheatgerm, shea butter etc.
Vitamin E and Almond Oil Mix for Even Skin Tone & Texture
To one tablespoon of almond oil add 8 drops of vitamin E oil and massage into you skin once a week. A 5 minutes and upward stoke massage is great to revitalize your skin and help shed the signs of sun damage by harnessing the power of this antioxidant rich mix.
9. Water: nothing counters skin damage like hydration. The best way to keep your skin well moisturized and supple is by drinking plenty of water. Drinking lots of water help flush out toxins; and that can improve your skin tone dramatically. Additionally plenty of water raises the hydration levels of your skin and keeps it from being dry. Remember issues like hyper-pigmentation, sun damage, dark spots etc. can look far more pronounced if your skin is not well hydrated.
10. Berries: packed with an acidic and sweet punch, these little miracles of nature are loved by your skin. It all boils down to antioxidants. And what better than berries to reverse the free radical damage that too much sun leaves your skin with. Even skin tone
& texture plus much reduced look of sun spots, patches and unevenness of skin: all this can be expected from berries on your skin.
Strawberry & Oatmeal Skin Perfecting Face Mask
Mask up a tablespoonful of strawberries and add to it a tablespoonful of oatmeal flour. Mix well and apply of your skin 1-2 times a week. Leave on for 12-15 minutes. Wash with your gentle and PH balanced cleanser. Follow with toner, serum and lotion.
Want help choosing the right products for your skin type? Fill this form to connect with me. Let me help you make the transition to high quality natural products that thousands around the world swear by. Read Apsara user reviews on this page.
Divya shares her experience with Apsara Skin Care Products:
"I have been using Apsara for about 3 years now and I love it. I love it because my skin used to peel all the time and I think Apsara has calmed my skin down and made it beautiful. I love it!"