Left: Sheetal Rawal, scientist (human genetics) & founder of Apsara Skin Care
By: Sheetal Rawal
When it comes to skin care, one of the most popular natural ingredients is aloe vera. It might have come to a special prominence over the last many years, but the fact is that in ancient systems like Ayurveda, it has been used in skin and hair care for thousands of years. In Sanskrit, it is called kumari.
Aloe vera suits every skin type and helps in healing and preventing a wide array of issues; from pimples to hyperpigmentation, aloe has perhaps the widest range of application of any ingredient. Aloe vera is also great for getting rid of wrinkles and dark spots and brightening up your skin for a healthy glow.
How to use aloe vera to diminish lines & wrinkles
Recent studies have shown that aloe vera is a miracle herb that has amazing anti-aging properties. It stimulates collagen production, prevents collagen breakdown and when consumed internally, it detoxifies the body. When your body is clean from the inside, issues like free radical damage are at a minimum. This is one of the reasons why a clean body results in youthful and glowing skin.
Here are a few effective aloe vera home remedies for diminishing wrinkles and other signs of aging:
1. Aloe Vera Anti-Wrinkle Scrub: It is essential to exfoliate your skin regularly as it helps in boosting collagen production, which in turn diminishes wrinkles. Scrubbing your skin stimulates blood circulation, resulting in deep down rejuvenation and repair of your skin. You can make your own aloe vera facial scrub with a few simple ingredients – brown sugar, olive oil, and aloe vera. Brown sugar exfoliates your skin due to its
granular texture. It is also a source of glycolic acid which removes dead cells as well. Olive oil has nutrients that nourish your skin while aloe vera penetrates deep into the skin to help minimize the look of lines and wrinkles and reduce the pace at which your skin ages.
Mix 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel, 1/4 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil. Apply on your skin and gently massage in a circular motion for 4 to 7 minutes. Wash off with lukewarm water and pat dry. Use this scrub 1-2 times a week. Follow with your toner, serum, and lotion.
2. Aloe Vera Anti-Aging Mask: All you need is fresh aloe vera juice or gel for this remedy. It not only helps make wrinkles disappear but also helps in preventing new lines from forming. With regular use, you could notice visible results in a few weeks. Using aloe vera in this simple way as a supplement to your daily skin care routine can be the best idea to keep those lines and wrinkles from surfacing.
Extract fresh aloe vera juice or gel from an aloe leaf. Or you can buy it in a natural food store. Gently massage it in for 2 to 3 minutes, using a circular motion. Leave the gel on for 30 minutes. Then wipe it with a wet towel and use your toner, serum, and lotion right after. Be sure to use skin care products meant for your skin type. Read this page to find out your skin type. You can use aloe vera this way 1-2 times a week.
Before extracting the gel or juice, make sure that you clean the aloe vera leaf thoroughly to get rid of dirt and debris.
3. Aloe Vera Gel and Cucumber Mask: Combining aloe vera gel and cucumber gives your skin vitamins A, C, and E, which work wonders on the skin. Vitamin A helps your skin resurface quickly. Vitamins C and E are both antioxidants and work wonders to diminish lines and wrinkles. Together they enhance the glow and radiance of your skin.
Mix 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel into 1 tablespoon of cucumber juice. Mix very well to make sure no aloe chunks remain. Cleanse and tone your face, and then apply a very thin layer of this mask. Allow it to dry and follow with serum and lotion.
4. Aloe Vera and Lemon Face Mask: Together, aloe vera and lemon work as powerful antioxidants that fight damage caused by free radicals and help to keep your skin youthful and fresh. While lemon juice increases the glow of your skin, aloe acts deep down to rejuvenate your skin and aid in firmness and vitality.
Mix 1 tablespoon of fresh aloe vera juice and 6 drops of fresh lemon juice. Apply on your skin and leave on for 20 to 30 minutes and then rinse off with warm water. Follow with serum and lotion. Apply 1-2 times a week to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
"I [am] totally impressed [by] the way she makes things with all the natural [ingredients]... like aloe vera, turmeric, sandalwood, et cetera. I really love it, and I have been using her products like [the] Rosehip & Citrus Nightly Facial Serum & Rosemary & Amla Hair Oil, [Rosemary & Amla] Shampoo, and [Rosemary & Amla] Conditioner. I really love using them, and I would like to buy more and more and use more and more products. I would suggest this to any of my family members and friends."
How to use aloe vera to fade dark spots and hyperpigmentation of skin
Dark spots are unwanted blemishes that are very bothersome and prevent your skin from looking flawless. But luckily, there are ways to lighten these spots using aloe vera.
Here are a few aloe vera home remedies to get rid of dark spots:
5. Aloe Vera and Rose Water Facial Spray: Aloe vera and rosewater together work amazingly well in hydrating and soothing your skin. They will also help lighten dark spots and give you bright, beautiful skin. Aloe vera is well known to increase the dead cell removal pace of your skin, and therefore it helps dark spots fade quickly. Rosewater freshens and tightens your skin.
appropriate massage cream can help with this. Make your own massage cream with aloe vera and diminish dark spots in no time.
Mix 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel, 2 tablespoons of shea butter, and enough jojoba oil to make a creamy mix. Apply on your skin and gently massage for about 10-15 minutes. Wash with warm water then use your toner, serum, and lotion. Do this once every 10 days or so.
7. Aloe Vera and Green Tea Bright Skin Mask: Like aloe vera, green tea is known for its many health benefits. It also does wonders for your skin mainly due to its antioxidant effects. To reduce the appearance of dark spots, make a liquid mask using aloe vera and green tea.
Dissolve 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel into 2 tablespoons of brewed green tea. Add 15 drops of almond oil and 10 drops of fresh lemon juice. Dab on your skin and wipe off in 30 minutes. Follow with toner, serum, and lotion.
Watch this video to learn a quick and easy home remedy using aloe vera and mango to get glowing skin quickly. This remedy is simple and leaves your skin hydrated and soft as well as radiant.
How to use aloe vera to get glowing skin
Everyone wants beautiful, glowing skin. So it can be tempting to use products with harsh chemicals in them. While harsh chemicals come with a bunch of unpleasant side effects and barely any longterm benefits, natural ingredients and products work completely differently. Not only are they highly effective when used properly, but they also work on your skin without challenging it.
Here is a look at a few home remedies using aloe vera for bright, glowing skin:
8. Aloe Vera and Vitamin E Mask: Both aloe vera and Vitamin E are known to have wonderful effects on the skin. Quicker cell renewal and antioxidant repair: these are both essential for glowing skin. This mask provides both these benefits.
Mix 1 teaspoon of Vitamin E oil with one teaspoon of aloe gel. Mix well and massage this mixture into your skin for 3-5 minutes. Let it sit for at least 5 more minutes and then wash off with lukewarm water. Apply serum and lotion. This mask can be used 1-2 times a week.
9. Aloe Vera and Seaweed Face Mask: Seaweed removes impurities and detoxifies your skin. It also provides vital minerals to nourish and revitalize your skin. Aloe vera provides deep hydration to your skin and helps to glow with health.
Mix 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel and 1 teaspoon of seaweed powder to make a paste. Apply a thin layer on your face and leave it on for 15 minutes. Rinse off thoroughly and pat dry. Repeat once a week for best results. Follow with your serum and lotion.
brighten your skin by increasing its nourishment and essential fatty acid levels. When combined with aloe vera, you get a powerful moisturizer that gives you glowing skin in no time at all. While coconut oil nourished, aloe vera increases the water content of your skin. This results in plump and glowing skin.
Mix 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel, 10 drops of organic coconut oil, and 1/2 teaspoon of vegetable glycerin. Apply on your face and massage gently. Leave on for 30 minutes to allow your skin to absorb the nutrients. Wash off with lukewarm water. Repeat this once to twice a week. Always follow with serum and lotion.
Have you used aloe vera on your skin? How did it help? Tell us in comments below.
Ready to go natural with your skin and hair care? Fill out this form with your questions and I will help you build a routine best suited to your unique skin type and needs.
Go natural. It is good karma!