Winter Skin Care: Tips and Techniques
Dry skin can be a challenge during the cold winter months. However, we can do a lot to supplement the skin’s moisture loss by choosing the right skin care products in conjunction with a few lifestyle adjustments. These together can go a long way to ensure that skin's gain of nourishment and moisture outweighs the loss in wintertime.
In Ayurveda, dryness of skin is attributed to an increase or predominance of Vata - air element. During winter, this condition worsens because the air tends to become very dry and its humidity content drops significantly. Dry surroundings steal the natural moisture present in our skin. Also, there isn’t enough moisture in the air to supplement the skin’s natural hydration.
There are a few steps that can be incorporated into one’s daily routine that can work wonders to restore the skin to its optimal hydration balance.
1. Drink plenty of water. Water not only detoxifies the body and increases metabolism, but it also helps the skin to remain hydrated and supple. 6-10 glasses of water a day can improve your skin’s hydration and tone tremendously. It is always best to drink lukewarm water rather than cold water. In Ayurveda, it is believed that cold water can stop or slow down the digestion process. Undigested food contributes to toxicity (called ama in Sanskrit) and that can lead to skin issues as well as a general lack of vitality.
"I have been using her products like [the] Rosehip & Citrus Nightly Facial Serum & Rosemary & Amla Hair Oil, [Rosemary & Amla] Shampoo, and [Rosemary & Amla] Conditioner. I really love using them, and I would like to buy more and more and use more and more products."
2. Use a humidifier. This is a simple step that can dramatically increase the moisture content of the air around you. Dry skin soaks up this moisture to make up for the loss and get some extra hydration.
3. Cleanse with a gentle cleanser. Your skin cleanser should be pH-balanced, and sulfate-free. A pH-balanced cleanser is gentle and won’t strip your skin of its natural oils. Harsh cleansers with sulfates in them sting your eyes and leave your skin feeling itchy and flaky. Apsara’s Root of Vetiver cleanser is mild and enriched with vetiver, which a natural skin balancing Ayurvedic ingredient. Using the right cleanser is the foundation of a skin care routine and making the wrong choice can lead to worsening of dryness.
4. Moisturize. This is a very important step that instantly boosts the nourishment levels of the skin. Look for a lotion that is free of parabens and other harsh chemicals. Artificial fragrances added into lotions can be very irritating to your skin. Apsara’s Carrot Seed Lotion is especially suited for the care of dry skin. Carrot seed extract is highly prized for nourishing dry skin and preventing early signs of skin aging.
Use this remedy if your skin is dry at any point during the year. It contains avocado and oat flour! Enjoy and please subscribe to my YouTube channel.
5. Use a serum. Facial serums are very potent because they have higher amounts of beneficial ingredients in them. Serums can be used alone, or in winter months, followed with a lotion. They are readily absorbed by the skin and improve your skin’s appearance and feel in only a few uses. Serums are the skin’s source of pure and superior nutrition. Apsara’s Evening Primrose Serum is particularly formulated for the daily care of dry skin.
6. Massage. In Ayurveda, an oil massage is called Abhyanga. An oil massage is the most valuable step you can take towards relieving dryness and flakiness of skin. Oils penetrate deep within your skin and provide nourishment in the form of natural proteins and essential fatty acids. The result is calm and supple skin that looks radiant and rested. Massage your skin twice or thrice a week for the most benefit. An oil massage can be followed by a lukewarm shower. Apsara’s Ylang-Ylang Massage Oil is light and very easily absorbed by the skin. In addition, it has some wonderful skin soothing and nourishing ingredients like carrot seed extract and Vitamin E.
Questions? Comments? Let me know by filling out the comments field below.
If you need to know what skin care products to use based on your skin care needs, click here and Sheetal will answer your concerns once she is available.
Go natural. It is good karma!