By: Marty S.
Facial provided by Sheetal Rawal
When paired with a daily skin care routine, a facial can be the difference between fine-looking skin and absolutely gorgeous skin. For those of you who do not know what a facial is, it is a procedure that many people take when they want to improve the appearance of their skin. Each facial is different and depends on the spa or dermatologists’ practices, but normally, an esthetician will cleanse, massage, scrub, and try to remove as many impurities as possible from your skin. While a facial will not give you flawless skin in an instant, it can provide major benefits to your skin, for example, glowing skin, less acne and blemishes, et cetera. However, they are not without their risks; sometimes facials can damage the skin and worsen skin issues due to the tools used and the potential of harsh chemicals. Luckily, DIY facials are possible, and the benefit of doing it for yourself is you’ll know exactly what will be exposed to your face.
Continue reading to learn why you should consider getting a facial if you’ve never gotten one as well as learn why you should try one at home if you frequently get them.
Scroll Down to Get Step-By-Step Instructions on How to Give Yourself a Facial
1. Facial Are an Amazing Supplement to Your Daily Skin Care Routine
A daily skin care routine is very important to have; in fact, it is more important to have a daily skin care routine than a regularly scheduled facial treatment. A daily skin care routine is important because it is a simple and easy way to maintain the health and look of your skin in order to slow down the effects of aging, reduce blemishes, et cetera; it might not seem like you’re accomplishing much, but over time, your skin will start to be healthier, well-nourished, and more ageless. On that note, facials may help you increase the effects of your daily skin care routine. A proper facial does a more thorough job of what your skin care routine would normally do: deep cleansing, moisturizing, reducing acne, et cetera. You may leave the spa with a fresh glow, and having a daily skin care routine can help those results last longer.
“I’ve been using [Sandalwood Facial Serum] for over a month now, and for someone with combo skin, I have to say, I’m obsessed. It doesn’t break me out, which is really rare for facial serums. It keeps me glowing, it looks amazing under makeup...”
2. Facials Are a Relaxing Process
someone cleanse your face and massage your skin, and opening your eyes an hour or two later to see a fresher, brighter face. Doesn’t that sound so enticing? It’s nice to be pampered every once in a while, and a facial can be a good way to de-stress if you’ve had a long week. A good facial massage can even boost the production of collagen in your skin, which can lead to more youthful skin.
3. You Should Only Receive a Facial No More Than Once a Month
There are two reasons for this. First, receiving a good facial can be very expensive. Second, after you receive a facial, your skin will be more sensitive and prone to redness. Your skin needs time to heal. If you receive a facial more frequently than once a month, it may aggravate the skin and cause skin issues such as redness to persist. While facials can be good for your skin, they should be treated more as a luxury and less as a necessity.
If you want a tight, youthful appearance, watch this video and learn how to prepare this castor oil and apple cider vinegar remedy at home. Enjoy and please subscribe to my YouTube channel!
4. Facials Must Be Done with Precise Care
A proper facial will help enhance your skin glow, but what happens when it is done improperly? Well, your skin might end up looking worse. Facials typically involve poking and prodding your face with sharp tools, which is what estheticians use to remove blemishes and improve the look of your skin. In the wrong hands or under an unskilled eye, a facial can cause redness or even breakouts. This is why if you do get a facial, it’s important to get it from someone you trust, someone who knows how to apply the exact amount of pressure on your face. When you renovate a house, you want to get bids from multiple contractors so that you get the best deal from the person who is best suited for your needs. Why wouldn’t you apply that same logic to your face?
esthetician can do a more effective job, but they don’t have to live with the results if a facial goes poorly. You do. So who better to give yourself a facial than you?
Step-by-Step Instructions on How to Give Yourself a Facial
We’ve outlined a step-by-step at-home facial below that you can follow. It won’t require any special tools, although you will need a facial cleanser, face toner, facial serum, and face mask. Your face lotion is optional for this facial:
1. Soak a towel in hot or warm water. Set it aside for now but make sure that the towel will remain warm and damp once you need it.
2. Use your facial cleanser to wash your face and neck very thoroughly. After, pat your skin dry.
3. Lie down and get in a comfortable position somewhere at your home. You will remain in this position for the duration of the facial so have whatever you need close by.
4. In the palm of your hand, emulsify 1 tbsp. of your toner with 12 drops of your serum.
5. With your fingertips, gently massage this mixture into your skin for up to 10 minutes using circular strokes. During the massage, close your eyes to enhance relaxation. If your arms and/or hands get tired, you may take a break. Finally, be very careful when massaging your eye area because your eyes are very delicate. Use your index finger only.
6. Get a pea-sized amount of your face lotion and massage your skin as you did in step #5. This is optional, though, as you may feel your skin is already well nourished with your toner and serum.
7. Grab a tissue and wipe off any excess lotion, toner, or serum on your face.
8. Grab the warm towel from before. Place it on your face and neck. Leave it on for 2 to 3 minutes. While the warm towel might seem relaxing, resist the urge to fall asleep!
9. Take the towel off, and use it to wipe your skin one more time.
10. Prepare and apply your face mask on your skin. Leave it on for 10 to 12 minutes. While it is on your skin, close your eyes and continue to relax.
11. After, wash the mask off with warm water. Pat dry.
12. Take 3 or 4 drops of your serum and gently apply it on your face. Take a pea-sized amount of your face lotion and gently apply it on your face as well. Your skin will be sensitive after all that massaging so you must be gentle.
13. Use this facial once a month or once every 45 days.
If you need to know what skin care products to use based on your skin care needs, click here and Sheetal will answer your concerns once she is available.
Go natural. It is good karma!