Above: Sheetal Rawal, scientist (human genetics) & founder of Apsara Skin Care
Excessive graying of hair, while you are still very young, can leave you feeling helpless! The temporary coloring agents filled with chemicals might seem like a great way to hide the grey strands but also ruin your hair leaving it dull and unmanageable.
This might come as a surprise for you, but there are natural ways to prevent premature gray hair with the help of Ayurveda!
According to Ayurveda, three Doshas or bodily forces regulate your body activity. This is based on geography, nature, genetics, and the environment. Each individual has one or a unique mixture of three Doshas, which come together in a balance (Prakriti), and any imbalance in these three Doshas can cause various problems. A sub-type of Pitta called Bhrajaka Pitta is responsible for the color of your hair and skin. Any imbalance in that can cause insufficient melanin production, resulting in premature hair graying.
Premature gray hair causes include:
- Bad Nutrition
- Environmental factors
- Psychological factors
- Medical Conditions
12 Ways To Prevent Premature Graying
Ayurveda, the natural and holistic science, provides many therapies from internal medication to external application, diet control, and lifestyle changes to keep your Pitta levels in balance, thus reversing and preventing gray hair!
Related: Tips to Eliminate Early Graying
1. Castor Oil: Castor oil is the best solution to rapid pigment loss, and hence to prevent premature graying. You can either use castor oil products or massage plain castor oil on your scalp where the gray hairs are prominent. The cooling nature of castor oil controls excess Pitta and can reverse premature graying.
2. Amla Oil: Amla is one of the most sought-after Ayurvedic herbs that acts as remedy for premature gray hair. You can incorporate this ingredient through a good shampoo or conditioner with Amla, such as the Apsara Rosemary & Amla Shampoo and Aprasra Rosemary & Amla Conditioner. This shampoo and conditioner range is the best alternative for chemical-loaded shampoos, free from paraben, SLS, and any other harsh chemicals that can ruin your hair further.
3. Coconut Oil & Curry Leaves: Curry leaves work perfectly in revitalizing your hair roots and to reduce premature hair graying. It is rich in vitamin C, which restores your hair’s natural color pigment, and reverses and prevents premature graying. When combined with coconut oil, a natural coolant for your scalp, it helps calm down excessive Pitta Dosha and controls gray hair.
4. Hibiscus: The natural additives in Hibiscus help darken your hair's natural color and reduce graying of hair prematurely. You can use a product that is infused with Hibiscus extract, or you can make your extract by soaking the flowers and leaves in water overnight and washing your hair with it the next morning.
5. Fenugreek Mask: Fenugreek seeds are rich in amino acids, which help your hair follicles to prevent graying of hair prematurely. Making a mask with fenugreek paste also strengthens your hair roots and provides ample nourishment.
To use this mask for preventing premature graying, soak some fenugreek seeds overnight, and grind them into a fine paste the next morning. Apply it throughout your scalp and wash it off with mild Ayurvedic shampoo after a few minutes. You can also apply this concoction and leave it overnight for much better results.
6. Coconut Milk & Curry Leaves Mask: As we know, curry leaves are one of the best solutions to prevent premature graying, and adding a bit of coconut milk to it gives your hair a soft texture.
To prepare this curry leaves for reducing premature graying, start by adding finely crushed curry leaves to coconut milk and blend it to create a smooth paste. Apply it on your scalp from the roots to the tip of your hair strands, and wash it off with a natural or Ayurvedic shampoo after 30 minutes.
7. Mustard Oil: Mustard oil is rich in healthy fats, antioxidants, and selenium which induces natural shine and strength. It also can darken your hair strands by treating graying hair from the roots. You can use it for preventing gray hair on its own or with a combination of castor oil regularly.
Related Webinar: Tips to Help Graying and Dry Hair
8. Sage & Rosemary: Rosemary and sage are essential components to prevent gray hair and for treating hair fall. Together it helps dark and the head that has already turned gray, and suits your scalp at the same time. You can incorporate these wonder ingredients to reduce gray hair into your hair care routine by using organic products induced with sage and rosemary, cold-pressed oils, or by making your concoction.
To make your own DIY hairspray, boil ⅓ cup rosemary and ⅔ cups sage in 3 cups of water for 20 to 30 minutes. Then let it cool and add two spoons of apple cider vinegar. You can spray this on your scalp and strands an hour before showering or overnight.
9. Onion: Another great home remedy to reduce gray hair is onion. The nutrients in onions help increase catalase, an enzyme that helps naturally dark your hair. You can mix 2 to 3 tablespoons of onion juice, with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and lemon juice. Massage this concoction onto your scalp and wash after 20 to 30 minutes.
10. Staying off Bad Habits: Several studies state that people who smoke and drink alcohol have a higher incidence of premature graying than non-smokers. Following a healthy lifestyle with less caffeine, smoking and drinking can ensure less radical damages, thus preventing gray hair.
Indulge In A Diet Filled With Nutrition: Your diet also plays a vital role in the prevention of premature grey hair. Ensure you indulge in a diet filled with omega-3 fatty acids, and zinc, such as whole seeds, fish, leafy vegetables, including broccoli and kale, among others.
Related: Apsara Product Review
11. Reduce Stress: Excessive stress can also cause hair to gray prematurely by affecting the cells responsible for giving your hair pigment. Keeping your overall mental health in check can reduce anxiety levels and, consequently, reduce gray hair prematurely.