5 Home Remedies to Minimize Open Pores & Balance Combination Skin
I know how frustrating it can be when your skin behaves inconsistently. Flaky on the cheeks and oily on forehead, nose and chin. In other cases it could be totally normal
No need to give up on your skin. With the correct beauty routine and some lifestyle changes, you will have the key to make all parts of your skin happy. And in addition, minimize the look of open pores also. Remember open pores are an indication that your skin is imbalanced. With a daily skin care routine made with calming and balancing ingredients, open pores can look far reduced in appearance.
Before you get started on your beauty routine, it is important to know what you are up against. Let me explain what combination skin is and how you can control its flaky nature, both literally and figuratively.
What does combination skin mean?
I think the name itself is self-explanatory. Combination skin is dry or normal in some parts and oily on others, forming a “T-Zone” on your face. T-zone is the area covering your nose, forehead and skin close to your nose area. When you have combination skin type, you are not only dealing with dryness and oiliness, but also clogged pores. This can lead to blackheads, whiteheads and acne. One additional concern I hear from people with combination skin is dullness.
What Causes Combination Skin?
Genetics play a huge role in defining your skin type, just like it defines other aspects of your body such as eye color, hair color, skin color etc. But your lifestyle habits also contribute hugely. Dehydration, washing with hot water, and usage of products with harsh chemicals are definitely the top factors. Regardless of cause, combination skin can
Before I share my ideas on dealing with combination skin and open pores, let me give you some very useful tips.
Tips That Balance Combination Skin
1. Moisturize internally with a healthy diet: The best way to keep your skin naturally moisturized is by consuming essential fatty acids in your diet. Add more walnuts and flaxseeds to your daily intake to get the right amount of moisturizing components into your skin from within.
2. Say no to harsh chemicals: I know I just said it earlier, but I will repeat since this is extremely important. Avoid anything that strips your skin of natural oils. If your skin feels tight and dry after washing, for example, your cleanser is absolutely wrong for your skin.
3. Get plenty of exercise: By working up your body, you can help healthy nutrients get transported to your skin. It is all about increasing the blood flow to your skin. It is a
4. Meditate: Kick stress out of your system through meditation and breathing exercises to get naturally radiant skin. Stress has been linked to over-production of cortisol: A hormone that causes your skin to over-produce oil.
5. Do not wash with hot water: Hot water strips your skin’s beneficial oils. It dehydrates your skin and forces your skin to overproduce sebum. The result is an oily T-zone. Lukewarm is the best temperature.
Daily Beauty Routine for Combination Skin and Open Pores
Most people with combination skin type also struggle with open pores. The key to finding the best daily skin routine is in the ingredients. Here are some of my tips that will go a long way to balance out your skin and minimize open pores.
1. Use a natural cleanser for washing your face daily:
Your cleanser must be PH balanced and free of sulfates and fake fragrance (at the very least). Such a cleanser will cleanse away dirt and impurities without drying out your skin.
2. Don't use toners that contain alcohol:
It is a nasty irritant and dehydrates your skin significantly. Your toner must be based on rosewater and must contain other natural ingredients to balance out your skin. Toning is especially important if you have combination skin. It minimizes open pores and balances your skin.
3. Gently exfoliate your skin twice a week:
A high quality face scrub can remove dead cells and unclog pores giving your skin a soft, even and clear look.
4. Use a natural deep cleaning face mask twice a week:
A mask made with clays like bentonite, fuller’s earth etc is the most effective way to keep your pores clean. Turmeric is another ingredient that must be part of your weekly mask. Its natural antibacterial properties help keep acne away.
Natural ingredients & remedies to balance combination skin and fade the look of open pores.
1. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe Vera is excellent to unclog pores and offer plenty of natural hydration to your skin. Remedy: Gently massage aloe vera gel over the open pores and let it sit for 15 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water. Follow with toner, serum and lotion.
Papaya works to unclog pores due to the enzyme papain in it.
Watch this Papaya and coffee home remedy to remove dead cells. This remedy softens your skin and enhances its glow. Enjoy!
3. Banana Peel
Banana contains antioxidant lutein that works wonders to rejuvenate your skin and tighten large pores. No need to throw that peel away just yet.
Remedy: Gently massage the inside of a banana peel on your face and let it sit for 15-minutes before you wash and continue with your skin care routine.
In this video I teach you a turmeric & oat home remedy to close open pores & balance oily skin.
Cucumber is well known for its effectiveness on skin pores and its ability to improve your skin texture. It is a very good source of vitamin C, which brightens up your skin. It is very useful to raise the hydration levels of your skin.
Remedy: With a cotton ball dab on some fresh cucumber juice on your skin. Let it dry and then follow with toner, serum and lotion. Yes you are right! There is no need to wash it first. You can use it 1-2 nights a week and simply go to bed with it on your skin.
5. Jojoba Oil
Since Jojoba oil mimics our skin’s natural oils, it works like a charm in cleaning clogged pores and reducing the size of open pores. Why? Because with jojoba oil on your skin it does not perceive the need to over-produce sebum. This makes that oily T-zone vanish in quick time. Using the following remedy 2 times a week will enrich your skin’s natural oil repository and give you a radiant glow from within.
Please share your tips and comments with me below.
Want flawless skin and gorgeous hair? What are you waiting for? Fill out this form with your questions or request for product related advice.